Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Printer Saga


Jessica
Monday August 29th at 8:00a.m. I stepped onto Temple's Campus and began my first week as an official college student.

I turned the corner, and I was overwhelmed to see the sidewalk infested with so many students. I attended a summer program at Temple for six weeks before the semester actually started and I was fooled into thinking that the few students that I saw during the summer actually represented Temple's student body.

I was spoiled coming from a small middle school and small high school I was use to utilizing the school resources without having to wait in long lines or share. So after I pushed my way through the crowd to get to my classes (I already knew where they were located because I spent six weeks getting familiar with the campus) the day seemed to be a calm one, until I had to go to the computer lab to print out my syllabus for my next class later that day. The computer lab that I used all summer was packed! The line for the computers were out the door. I went to another computer lab it was standing room only.I could not believe it, HOW IN THE WORLD WAS I GOING TO GET MY SYLLABUS PRINTED OUT!

Ii did not want to be unprepared, especially not on my first day of class. So I asked the librarian if there was anywhere else on campus that I could print. She sent me to the TECH Center, and when I got there I found free computers. I was like." Thank God"! So after pushing print on the computer I went to the printer and I swiped my ID card, but there was no money on it. I almost died! 

So I put money in the machine and I was panicking because I was running late for class and nothing came out of the printer.  So I ran to get help and the technician had to call someone from downstairs. They did not want me to pay a second fee so the guy looked on the computer system to try to push my print job through for free and he could not find it. So I had to go back to the original computer that I had logged off of and someone else was on it. So the technician and I had to kindly ask her to switch computers and she did (she was very nice) and I reprinted the document. OK.  things seemed to look up until we went to printer 1, and the paper still did not come out. So the technician said go to printer 2 and it did not come out. Then he said go to Printer 3 and it was there. 

After that i thanked everyone for their help and I flew out of the Tech Center to Ritter Hall to get to my Education class and I was on time

3 comments:

  1. I remember paying cash--in dimes--to get copies in college. Money on your ID card--genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how stressful...but great job being incredibly resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Jessica...you showed grace under fire! One tip I have for future classes (I have a LOT of experience with those darned lines) is to visit the comp labs the night before and print out everything. Give yourself the deadline of the night before it's due or you need it, because it will eliminate all-nighters and make sure you're not stuck in line!

    ReplyDelete