Thursday, December 1, 2011

Workshops


Jessica

Since I last blogged, I have added another weekly event to my schedule! The Russell Conwell Center hosts student workshops every day.  I try to attend at least one a week so that I can mingle and become familiar with other Temple faces besides the ones in my classes.

So my first workshop was the "In it to win it" workshop. I had the best time because it was CANDY GALORE! I had so much fun eating candy and playing games with new people. Another workshop that I attended that was suggested by my counselor was the Resident Assistant workshop.  The workshop is for those who are interested in becoming an RA or a campus leader to get training on how to work and lead others successfully. I am not necessarily interested in becoming an RA but I learned a lot of life nuggets that I can definitely apply when I become a teacher, like how to support a situation where your student is having problems at home or with other adults. I also learned some resume and interview tips for the future.

The most recent workshop that I went to was Cram Jam!  By far this was the most enjoyable workshop for me! Cram Jam was a big study party. It lasted three days - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - from 5:00pm to 8:00pm. We were spilt up into groups based on which subjects we were weakest in.  We had a tutor who was most likely a sophomore, and we went over review packets and ate pizza and drank soda. In my group, we laughed and giggled the entire time! (We were productive in between jokes).

 I enjoyed Cram Jam because I learned different methods and easier strategies to solve math problems that I originally counted as out of my league. I would not even try some of them, but once a classmate broke the problem down, I was able to solve others like it. I also offered the few math skills that I had to my peers to help them with their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment