Friday, November 11, 2011

My Weekly Schedule


Jessica
School has been in session for a little over than a month, and I am getting used to my schedule. On Mondays I make it to my 8:00 AM. English Class in Gladfelter Hall by the skin of my teeth. I am not a big fan of Monday mornings at all. Next semester I am going to definitely schedule my classes later on Mondays. 

Then I go to tutoring for math from 10:00 am. to 11:00 am. at the Russell Conwell Center. I love going to the RCC building to do my work because I get to see all of my classmates and friends from the summer program. We all meet there to hang out, get extra help when needed and, most of all, utilize the free printing privileges given to us for completing the summer program. The RCC building is never quiet. There is always laughing and talking between students and staff or a debate about which organization is better.  Nevertheless, the Russell Conwell Center is a productive place because when it is time to get down to business, the games stop and we complete our work then immediately go back to joking and playing tricks on one another. It is truly a fun environment to be in! 

My next class does not begin until 2:00 PM so I hang out until about 1:30pm. Then I walk over to Ritter Hall for my Education class called Tweens and Teens.  In my Tweens and Teens class we talk about teenagers and development for fifty minutes. This class is very much focused on the media and its effect on teens and their identity so we are required to watch teen shows from today as well as the 90s and compare the times.  We have watched shows ranging from Dawson’s Creek, My-So-Called-Life, and Degrassi to today’s shows like Teen Mom and The Secret Life of an American Teenager. We discuss and often time get into heated debates about the portrayal of teens in the media. After fifty minutes of arguing about what shows influence teens and their behavior, I go home and try to get myself ready to get up before dawn again so that I can make it to work on time the next morning.

 On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do not have class until 2:00 PM so I decided to complete my Work Study hours on those days.  Fortunately, KIPP DuBois Collegiate Academy hired me so I work for four hours 8:00am. until 12:00pm.  Now that the kids are familiar with m, when I get to the school, they speak and wave at me as I come in.  At the high school, I work with Ms. Freeman and a small group of students on reading skills and the students are so respectful and receptive.  I enjoy and appreciate working with them because even though we are pretty much the same age, they treat me like a teacher. After I leave KIPP,  I go directly to school.

 My first class on Tuesdays and Thursdays is Dramatic Imagination and it begins at 2pm in Tuttleman.   Every class session I sit next to a girl named Christina, and we have become friendly with each other so we talk and laugh throughout the class when it is appropriate ( especially at our professor because he is so comical). We sit in the very front row so whenever he makes jokes he interacts with us.  

Since Christina and I get along so well, we decided to do our class project together with four other class members. The project requires us to create our own theater company and advertise a season worth of productions for that theater company.  After my Dramatic Imagination class, I go to Math Class from 3pm to 5pm.  Normally on a Thursday night, I will go see the theater production assigned for the week by my teacher.  Once everyone sees the production in the amount of time that the instructor gives us, we take a quiz and have a class discussion about the play.

On Wednesdays I go back to English class.  I barely make it and then I have class again at 2pm. I love my Friday schedule because I only have one class and that starts at 2pm. So I go to Study Hall at 1pm and bi-weekly I have to see my Academic Counselor.  After class on Fridays, which ends at 2:50 PM, I go home and prepare to complete the same cycle again the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment