Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wheels on the bus go round and round

Jessica
I was fortunate enough to visit KIPP Elementary Academy during my winter break from College and I was in awe just to see how intelligent and mature the little KIPPsters were. Chris Johnson - another KIPP alumnus - and I talked to a first grade class about college-life, and we were able to share with them the benefits of living both on-campus and off-campus. The kids were very intrigued and enthusiastic during the discussion; they were very respectful and well behaved. The KIPPsters asked insightful questions and I was just so amazed to see how they understood the importance of doing well in school so that they can go to college and one day become successful. They knew and believed that they can do anything that they set there little minds to do, this inspired and encouraged me as a future teacher to work hard and do my best so that I can be useful for generations coming up after me. After Chris and I finished talking to the KIPPsters, they were instructed to go back to their desks and complete a class work assignment. On the worksheet they had to explain two reasons about why they were excited about going to college and draw two pictures to go along with their paragraphs. I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I WAS SEEING! These babies can write a full sentence about why they want to go to college this was unbelievable! When I was six years old I do not think the word College was even in my vocabulary and for these children to be able to be aware of just how important college is and sit down and write about it was just a beautiful sight to see. I had a good time working with the little KIPPsters and I am still pursuing a degree in Secondary Education but I am considering visiting the little KIPPsters every so often and hopefully when they become high school students I will have the pleasure of teaching them and make it possible for them to see the day when they go off to college a day in which they earnestly make preparation for today!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jessica! Thanks for sharing this story and for being such a good role model for our littlest KIPPSters! :)

    ReplyDelete